From: Patrick – GetUp! <email@example.com>
Date: 26 September 2019 at 5:22:06 pm AEST
Scott Morrison just told world leaders he will not apologise for his dangerous inaction in the face of the climate crisis.1
He’s just not sorry – not for pushing for public funding for dirty new coal power.2 Not for gutting CSIRO jobs, suppressing data, or censoring reports about the threat of climate change.4,5,6 Not for belittling Greta Thunberg and the climate strikers.3
He is utterly out of touch with the overwhelming majority of us who understand the threat of climate change and want urgent action.7 But if we say nothing now, we let Morrison speak for us to the world.
Together, we can correct the record – with the highest environmental authority on earth. If our Prime Minister won’t represent us, we’ll deliver a message to the UN ourselves:
SIGN NOW: To U.N. Secretary General António Guterres, Scott Morrison does not speak for us. Australia wants climate action now!
It’s an embarrassment, Robin.
While hundreds of thousands of us are still sharing the signs and speeches of the biggest climate mobilization on earth, Scott Morrison skipped the UN Climate Summit to look at a shiny, new McDonalds Drive Thru.8
And today, in a speech to the UN General Assembly he’s telling the world Australia is “doing enough” – even as Greta Thunberg’s slammed world leaders for stealing the dreams of her generation.9
But the strikes proved that we do not need to leave politics to the Prime Minister. We came together. We set the agenda. We dominated the press. We sent a message.
We are better than this.
Morrison has no idea what he’s talking about, and press and leaders around the world are calling him out for it.10 Now we can put Australia’s commitment to climate action on the record on a global stage.
Click here to tell the UN: Morrison does NOT speak for us! We want climate action now!
Morrison is scrambling to bury the truth. We will not let him.
While so many of us continue to step up, this movement is popular, powerful, and will not be silenced.
Yours in solidarity,
Patrick, Tessa, Sarah and Charlie – for GetUp ❤️
1. Scott Morrison uses UN speech to slam ‘internal and global critics’ of Australia’s climate change policy, ABC Online, 26 September, 2019
2. Emissions Reduction Fund review considers opening the scheme to coal-fired power stations, ABC Online, June 21, 2019
3. Morrison responds to Greta Thunberg by warning children against ‘needless’ climate anxiety, The Guardian, 25 September, 2019
4. Job cuts in Australia target climate scientists, Nature, 5 February, 2016
5. Australia pressures Unesco over impact of climate change on Great Barrier Reef, The Guardian, 29 August, 2019
6. Australia’s carbon emissions continue to rise despite Government assurances about climate change policy, ABC Online, 30 August, 2019
7. The Climate of the Nation Report, The Australia Institute, 9 September, 2019
8. World leaders discussed climate. The PM admired a ‘smart Drive-Thru’, Sydney Morning Herald, 24 September, 2019
9. ‘This is all wrong’: A transcript of Greta Thunberg’s Climate Summit speech,
10. Australian government seen globally as climate ‘denialist’, UN summit observers say, The Guardian, 25 September, 2019.
Our team acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we meet and work. We wish to pay respect to Elders – past, present and emerging – and acknowledge the important role all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people continue to play within Australia and the GetUp community.
Authorised by Paul Oosting, GetUp Ltd, Level 14, 338 Pitt Street, Sydney NSW 2000.